Tweeting Your Way to College Acceptance
The college admissions process is like sending a friend request to your school of choice—and in this scenario, the way you maintain your Facebook, and even your Twitter, could matter just as much.
A Kaplan survey indicated that more than 80 percent of college admissions offices will reach out to and recruit students on Facebook— which means the people who are holding the keys to your academic future could be browsing your page. So just as you would for your applications and essays, it’s vital that you make social network edits.
First, you’ll need to clean up. Carefully comb your page, and if something appears questionable, get rid of it or untag yourself. Filter through old notes and blogs and trim entries that don’t reflect well on you. Does your “About Me” section express the interests of a potential college student, or of a silly high schooler?
Now, make some positive changes to your online image. Your profile picture is the most visible part of your account. Choose an image that best personifies who you are (or how you’d like to be perceived). It doesn’t need to be a headshot, but it should be an appropriate image that would appeal to an admissions office. They aren’t looking for more students to party hard or fail classes—they are looking for vibrant students who will excel.
You should also monitor your friends’ activity on your page. Just as your relationships reflect who you are, their comments, photos and tags play a part in your overall virtual impression on others. Delete or block friends who frequently make inappropriate remarks. Change your privacy settings so you have to approve Twitter followers or picture tags.
Finally, play the part of the prospective student. “Like” the universities you are interested in and interact with their online community. If you have an online portfolio, blog or résumé, add its link to your info. It won’t be long before that little “Education” box sees some big changes.
Recommended For YouView More in RELEVANT U
- > Watch Chance the Rapper’s Worshipful Grammy Performance
- > I’m Single. Stop Pitying Me on Valentine’s Day
- > Mark Zuckerberg Met with Pastors to Understand How Churches ‘Find Deeper Meaning in a Changing World’
- > Watch Ashton Kutcher Emotionally Testify Against Sex Trafficking in Front of Congress
- > Chance After Winning Best New Artist: ‘Glory Be to God. I Claim This Victory in the Name of the Lord’
- > Watch Navy SEAL’s Widow Carryn Owens Receive a Standing Ovation During Trump’s Speech
- > The New 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2' Trailer Is Here, and It's Awesome
- > Ukraine's 'StopFake' TV Show Only Features Fake News to Help Fight Fake News
- > Legendary Gameshow Host Marc Summers Discusses Mental Illness in Documentary About His Life
- > Watch Tim Tebow Tell Mets Reporters Why He Doesn’t Want to Be Known as an Athlete