Imagination and Prayer
March 7th, 2011
Imagination and Prayer
By Winn Collier
"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see."
Hebrews 11:1 NIV
"IT TAKES IMAGINATION to live in God's world," says N.T. Wright. This must be true. The resurrection of Jesus proclaims that, even now, God's kingdom is coming. We must learn to see a different way. We must imagine. To speak of a redeemed imagination is to speak of prayer, perhaps the oldest way God's people have sought to see what it is God is up to. Even Ignatius has been described as one who practiced "prayer by imagination."
Hebrews reminds us that faith is being "certain of what we do not see" (Hebrews 11:1). So, a prayer of faith is a prayer opening up the vistas of what we could not otherwise see, all the ways God is loving, healing, rebuking and moving on our behalf. Anyone can see the obvious: the shame, the violence, the isolation. Anyone can surrender to the delusion that these tragedies are the deepest truth. However, if we want to see God's activity in our world, then the imaginative eyes of faithful prayer are required.
For us then, our fear or loneliness is not the truest thing. Not even our sin is the truest thing. God—that is the truest thing. It just requires imagination, prayer, to see it.
Think about imagination as it relates to "childlike faith". How imaginative is your prayer life?
This devotion is adapted from an article in RELEVANT magazine. Get your own copy.
Recommended For You
- > Watch Chance the Rapper’s Worshipful Grammy Performance
- > I’m Single. Stop Pitying Me on Valentine’s Day
- > Watch Ashton Kutcher Emotionally Testify Against Sex Trafficking in Front of Congress
- > One of the NFL's Most Promising Young Coaches Is Leaving Football to Pursue the Ministry
- > Tim Keller, Ann Voskamp Among Christian Leaders Featured in Ad Denouncing Trump’s Refugee Ban
- > Watch Navy SEAL’s Widow Carryn Owens Receive a Standing Ovation During Trump’s Speech
- > The New 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2' Trailer Is Here, and It's Awesome
- > Ukraine's 'StopFake' TV Show Only Features Fake News to Help Fight Fake News
- > Legendary Gameshow Host Marc Summers Discusses Mental Illness in Documentary About His Life
- > Watch Tim Tebow Tell Mets Reporters Why He Doesn’t Want to Be Known as an Athlete