Does Helping Women Matter Most?
By julian lukins
August 4, 2011
When Thoeun was a little girl, a terrifying measles outbreak swept
through her village and there was no escape. Mothers clutched their
dying children, powerless to act. “I remember [thinking] that I would
die too,” Thoeun recalls.
Mercifully, Thoeun survived the
measles, yet she grew up with the understanding that the measles and
other afflictions—including pneumonia and chronic diarrhea—were the work
of evil spirits or bad karma. She prayed to her idols, anxiously
petitioned her dead ancestors and begged the witchdoctor to protect her.
would have stayed that way if it wasn’t for the day when health
teachers came to Kampong Cham, Cambodia’s most populated province. It
was the first time Thoeun and her neighbors had heard of germs, viruses,
the concept of preventing disease and the importance of early medical
Armed with this new knowledge, Thoeun began to
share the teachings with other women in her community. Soon she was
training women from other villages to teach their neighbors the warning
signs of potentially deadly illnesses so they’d seek help before it was
too late. Today she’s a trainer for World Relief’s Care Group project,
spreading life-saving health messages in hundreds of villages the most
effective way—woman to woman, mother to mother.
exemplifies the power of women to change their world. She’s proof that
when you empower one woman, you can transform a whole community ...
Recommended For YouView More in God
- > Watch Chance the Rapper’s Worshipful Grammy Performance
- > I’m Single. Stop Pitying Me on Valentine’s Day
- > Mark Zuckerberg Met with Pastors to Understand How Churches ‘Find Deeper Meaning in a Changing World’
- > Watch Ashton Kutcher Emotionally Testify Against Sex Trafficking in Front of Congress
- > Chance After Winning Best New Artist: ‘Glory Be to God. I Claim This Victory in the Name of the Lord’
- > Watch Navy SEAL’s Widow Carryn Owens Receive a Standing Ovation During Trump’s Speech
- > The New 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2' Trailer Is Here, and It's Awesome
- > Ukraine's 'StopFake' TV Show Only Features Fake News to Help Fight Fake News
- > Legendary Gameshow Host Marc Summers Discusses Mental Illness in Documentary About His Life
- > Watch Tim Tebow Tell Mets Reporters Why He Doesn’t Want to Be Known as an Athlete