Author Karen Russell
This week we talk to novelist and short story writer, Karen Russell. She is a Pulitzer Prize finalist, a New York Times best seller and author of the new book, Vampires in the Lemon Grove. We also spotlight a great new indie-rock band, Telekinesis. Crazy, but the whole band is just one guy. And it wouldn't be a typical podcast without calling the next hipster trend, planning a RELEVANT wedding and watching television for dogs.
Notable Jokes & Runs
2:02 - Calvin talks about his beard-trimming mishap. Eddie and Jesse talk about why they have facial hair (Jesse: laziness, Eddie: a face resembling his daughter). Chad talks about his wife's reaction to a beard error.
7:23 - They talk about Bob Goff's cabin retreat, suggesting that tickle fights occur there. This is the origin of the nickname "Bob Goff's Tickle Shack", though it doesn't appear in this episode.
8:10 - Chad talks about auditioning for the "This is NPR" radio voice.
9:04 - Calvin does an impression of Christopher Walken saying "This is NPR".
9:54 - Jesse suggests inserting punctuation, a la Ron Burgundy. "This is NPR?"
10:16 - Calvin does a James Blunt impression.
17:32 - Eddie and Jesse talk about doing announcements at their churches, and other awkward church moments.
20:02 - Eddie talks about his tattoo, inspired by his grandmother.
20:52 - Jesse talks about reading the Apostle's Creed at his church, and continue the talk about awkward and funny events at churches, as well as weddings.
22:53 - Eddie talks about anxiety over officiating weddings, and talks about his own wedding. This is the origin of the idea of the Relevant Podcast Wedding.
63:25 - Eddie begins a conversation about candy. This is the origin of Candy Talk.
Notable Guest Moments
37:08 - Introduction to Karen Russel.
46:40 - Introduction to Telekinesis.
Other Notable Moments
0:43 - Chad guest-hosts for Cameron.
11:42 - A discussion of ghosts leads to Jesse's story about a hilarious Twitter reaction to a movie review of Safe Haven involving the movie Argo.
13:58 - Eddie predicts that opera will be the next hipster / indie music trend.
24:26 - Jesse's slice about a new DirectTV channel, Dog TV.
27:05 - Calvin's slice about Pope Francis urging priests to buy less flashy cars. He gives a list of cars he thinks should be pre-approved for priests to drive.
31:24 - Eddie's slice about four things modern men should be able to do.
54:42 - Feedback to Question of the Week: "What was your craziest July 4th / firework story?"
68:31 Outro: "Call the Secretary of Health; have him draft me a certificate." - Jesse
Question of the Week
What is the most awkward or cringeworthy wedding moment you've ever seen?
It's summer wedding season, so this week we want to know, what is the most awkward or cringeworthy wedding moment you've ever seen or been a part of?
Recommended For YouView More in Culture
- > Watch Chance the Rapper’s Worshipful Grammy Performance
- > I’m Single. Stop Pitying Me on Valentine’s Day
- > Watch Ashton Kutcher Emotionally Testify Against Sex Trafficking in Front of Congress
- > Sufjan Stevens Pens Letter to America About Christ, Refugees, Love and Judgement
- > Watch This British Lawmaker Speak Out on Selective Abortions Based on Disabilities
- > Watch Navy SEAL’s Widow Carryn Owens Receive a Standing Ovation During Trump’s Speech
- > The New 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2' Trailer Is Here, and It's Awesome
- > Ukraine's 'StopFake' TV Show Only Features Fake News to Help Fight Fake News
- > Legendary Gameshow Host Marc Summers Discusses Mental Illness in Documentary About His Life
- > Watch Tim Tebow Tell Mets Reporters Why He Doesn’t Want to Be Known as an Athlete