This week we talk to author, speaker, filmmaker and podcast-friend, Donald Miller. He shares his thoughts on the aftermath of Blue Like Jazz The Movie and explains his passion for the work he's currently doing with Storyline. We also talk to the editors about the new issue of RELEVANT Magazine, featuring one of our favorite bands, Phoenix, on the cover! Plus, we uncover Tyler's college freshman year bio and Jesse develops a new business strategy for Hot Pockets.
A big thanks to our sponsor, Audible.com, the leading provider of premium digital spoken audio information and entertainment on the Internet. They're giving all RELEVANT Podcast listeners a free audiobook! To get yours, click here.
Listen to the full interview with Donald Miller
Notable Jokes & Runs
2:55 - Jesse jokes that Don Miller's book title Blue Like Jazz refers to his denim wardrobe. "Bluejeans Like Jazz".
Notable Guest Moments
44:08 - Introduction to Donald Miller.
45:41 - Donald Miller talks about the film adaptation of his book Blue Like Jazz.
51:28 - Donald Miller tells the story of why he moved from Portland to DC.
54:17 - Donald Miller talks about Storyline.
Other Notable Moments
3:50 - Cameron removes the "interim" tag from Tyler's title. He becomes a regular cast member.
5:10 - Tyler talks about his college bio that someone on Twitter found.
11:01 - Cameron talks about his student bio for when he ran for student body president. He describes his campaign and the competition. Jesse talks about the strict journalism standards there that would only allow stories on new Subway restaurants.
16:02 - A discussion of the Great Gatsby movie.
22:18 - Jesse's slice about Amazon releasing streaming television seasons like Netflix. Amazon is letting users choose which ones the company will fund.
25:11 - Maya's slice about fast food restaurant whose menus are different in other countries. Jesse suggests the idea of Hot Pockets made to order online.
36:20 - Tyler's slice about the attempts to control the legal age of smoking. Also, discussion of health legislation and arbitrary age standards.
65:24 - Relevant Recommends: Data Romance, A Place Beyond the Pines, the app for This American Life.
71:43 - The editorial team (Cameron, Tyler, Jesse, and Stephanie) discusses the new issue of Relevant Magazine. Phoenix, the "Separation of Church and Hate", gentrification, 10 things to do this summer, annual music guide, the cast of The Office.
88:40 Outro: "Tyler Huckabee, wild card." - Jesse
Question of the Week
What advice would you give to the you of 10 years ago?
Thanks to the internet turning up Tyler's college freshman year bio, we got thinking about the ways we've changed over the years and the things we wish we had known back in the day. So if you could go back to the you of 10 years ago and say anything, what would it be? And we're not looking for spoiler alerts (buy Google stock, etc...) but rather significant (and fun) life advice.
Recommended For YouView More in Culture
- > Watch Chance the Rapper’s Worshipful Grammy Performance
- > I’m Single. Stop Pitying Me on Valentine’s Day
- > Mark Zuckerberg Met with Pastors to Understand How Churches ‘Find Deeper Meaning in a Changing World’
- > Watch Ashton Kutcher Emotionally Testify Against Sex Trafficking in Front of Congress
- > Chance After Winning Best New Artist: ‘Glory Be to God. I Claim This Victory in the Name of the Lord’
- > Watch Navy SEAL’s Widow Carryn Owens Receive a Standing Ovation During Trump’s Speech
- > The New 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2' Trailer Is Here, and It's Awesome
- > Ukraine's 'StopFake' TV Show Only Features Fake News to Help Fight Fake News
- > Legendary Gameshow Host Marc Summers Discusses Mental Illness in Documentary About His Life
- > Watch Tim Tebow Tell Mets Reporters Why He Doesn’t Want to Be Known as an Athlete