What Makes Something Fair Trade?
By Reject Apathy
May 10, 2011
It's more than a trend. Here are the methods of the movement.
By now you’re familiar with the concept and the benefits of buying fair trade. With a bit of conscientious consumerism, it’s fairly easy to ensure your purchases support the people and places that need it most and sustain eco-friendly companies. But certifying fair trade products isn’t as simple as slapping on a label. To maintain the integrity of the fair trade market, each of its more than 1.2 million producers and workers are subject to a strict inspection
and certification process.
Depending on the type of business and whether products are being manufactured or sold, different principles and processes apply—and they usually involve a lengthy, specific list. However, some general guidelines do blanket most of the industry. Trade companies must sign contracts with producers to foster long-term relationships, pay a Fairtrade minimum price (the cost of sustainable production) and pay an addi- tional Fairtrade premium (to invest in development). Producer standards vary based on whether employees are contract workers, hired labor or small-scale producers, but all have rights to democratic, equitable treatment.
The big brother of the fair trade industry is FLO-CERT. Their certifiers determine standards and confirm a company’s compliance through on-site audits. A committee then approves or denies a company’s request for certification. Annual reviews and random inspections also preserve the consistency of the fair trade name. Stateside, organizations like TransFair USA work with FLO-CERT to monitor the import, pro- duction and sale of American fair trade. So, go ahead, this time it’s OK to flaunt that label. It’s earned.
Recommended For YouView More in Reject Apathy
- > Watch Chance the Rapper’s Worshipful Grammy Performance
- > I’m Single. Stop Pitying Me on Valentine’s Day
- > Mark Zuckerberg Met with Pastors to Understand How Churches ‘Find Deeper Meaning in a Changing World’
- > Watch Ashton Kutcher Emotionally Testify Against Sex Trafficking in Front of Congress
- > How 2016 Changed Everything for Lecrae
- > Watch Navy SEAL’s Widow Carryn Owens Receive a Standing Ovation During Trump’s Speech
- > The New 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2' Trailer Is Here, and It's Awesome
- > Ukraine's 'StopFake' TV Show Only Features Fake News to Help Fight Fake News
- > Legendary Gameshow Host Marc Summers Discusses Mental Illness in Documentary About His Life
- > Watch Tim Tebow Tell Mets Reporters Why He Doesn’t Want to Be Known as an Athlete