Celeb Charity Gets Social
By Reject Apathy
May 10, 2011
As technology evolves, so does the way we support charity. Here are some of the ways social networking is connecting people, organizations and even celebrities.
Australian musician Brooke Fraser celebrated her 27th birthday generously: asking friends, family and fans to donate to the work of char- ity: water. The campaign met and exceeded her goal of $50,000. “It’s a basic need, it’s a human right, and it’s the greatest gift I can think of to give, or to receive, for my birthday this year,” Fraser said.
GREEN RIVER ORDINANCE
Green River Ordinance didn’t want to support a good cause—they wanted to support five. So each member of the folk- rock band selected their favorite charity and set up TheHopeGROs.com, a site that gives proceeds from select song sales to the various organizations they support.
Founded by Edward Norton and a few friends, Crowdrise allows people to start personal fundraising projects online or donate to existing campaigns while “having the most fun in the world.” Recently, everyone from Barbra Streisand to Jonah Hill joined their Crowdrise Holiday Fundraiser Thing (yes, that’s what it was called), using their profiles to creatively promote causes.
Named Mashable’s Most Creative Social Good Campaign for 2010, TwitChange is a platform where celebrities like Eva Longoria auction off social networking interactions to raise money for a particular nonprofit. Started after the Haiti earthquake, now they raise money for a different campaign every month.
Recommended For YouView More in Reject Apathy
- > Watch Chance the Rapper’s Worshipful Grammy Performance
- > I’m Single. Stop Pitying Me on Valentine’s Day
- > Watch Ashton Kutcher Emotionally Testify Against Sex Trafficking in Front of Congress
- > Sufjan Stevens Pens Letter to America About Christ, Refugees, Love and Judgement
- > Watch This British Lawmaker Speak Out on Selective Abortions Based on Disabilities
- > Watch Navy SEAL’s Widow Carryn Owens Receive a Standing Ovation During Trump’s Speech
- > The New 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2' Trailer Is Here, and It's Awesome
- > Ukraine's 'StopFake' TV Show Only Features Fake News to Help Fight Fake News
- > Legendary Gameshow Host Marc Summers Discusses Mental Illness in Documentary About His Life
- > Watch Tim Tebow Tell Mets Reporters Why He Doesn’t Want to Be Known as an Athlete