Chick-Fil-A Will Give You Free Ice Cream If You Put Your Phone Away While You Eat
We’ve all been there: Enjoying a meal with a friend or our families, and someone at the table has their head down, messing around on their phone. Well now, 150 Chick-Fil-A stores across the country are doing their part to restore in-person conversation and good ole fashioned eye contact to meal time. They’ve created a “phone coop” for diners to put their phones into while they eat, rewarding those who use it with a free “Icedream” dessert.
In a statement, they explained, “Americans now spend an average of 4.7 hours per day on their phone … Although our phones were meant to bring us closer together, they can sometimes have the opposite effect.”
The idea was dreamt up by a restaurant operator in Georgia named Brad Williams, who explained in a statement,
We really want our restaurant to provide a sense of community for our customers, where family and friends can come together and share quality time with one another. But as we all know, technology increasingly demands more of our time and can be a big distraction, even while we’re eating. This got me thinking about what we could do to reduce this distraction during meals.
Participating stores will give you the “Coop” to hold the phone while you eat, and then hand out ice creams to those who successfully complete the “Cell Phone Coop” challenge.
The challenge maybe harder than it sounds, especially for millennials. According to some research, 87% say their phone never leaves their side, and on average, and the marketing firm SDL, they check it 43 times a day. Now, how badly do you want that free ice cream?
Recommended For YouView More in Current
- > Watch Chance the Rapper’s Worshipful Grammy Performance
- > I’m Single. Stop Pitying Me on Valentine’s Day
- > Watch Ashton Kutcher Emotionally Testify Against Sex Trafficking in Front of Congress
- > Sufjan Stevens Pens Letter to America About Christ, Refugees, Love and Judgement
- > Watch This British Lawmaker Speak Out on Selective Abortions Based on Disabilities
- > Watch Navy SEAL’s Widow Carryn Owens Receive a Standing Ovation During Trump’s Speech
- > The New 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2' Trailer Is Here, and It's Awesome
- > Ukraine's 'StopFake' TV Show Only Features Fake News to Help Fight Fake News
- > Legendary Gameshow Host Marc Summers Discusses Mental Illness in Documentary About His Life
- > Watch Tim Tebow Tell Mets Reporters Why He Doesn’t Want to Be Known as an Athlete