An Immigrant Mother of 4 Is Avoiding Deportation by Seeking Refuge in a Church
Though Jeanette Vizguerra was born in Mexico, she’s worked in the United States for the last 20 years. But Vizguerra fears she will be deported when after an upcoming meeting scheduled with immigrations officials because of several misdemeanors on her record.
So now she and three of her children—all of whom were born in the U.S.—have taken refuge in Denver’s First Unitarian Church. Traditionally, churches are viewed as sanctuaries—safe-havens for immigrants, where federal authorities will not enter—it’s not necessarily that they can’t, but they don’t. Vizguerra knows there’s a possibility she could get stuck in the church without access to basic needs, but says the risk is worth it.
According to her, the legal trouble all centers around her trying to stay in the United States: "The only thing that I’ve done is use false documents to put food on the table of my family," Vizguerra told Inside Edition through a translator at the church.
Reports say that nearly 100 demonstrators are currently outside First Unitarian Church's building showing support for Vizguerra. She is already something of a public figure through a radio show she hosts, and Vizguerra regularly advocates for immigrant issues. A spokesman for Immigration and Customs Enforcement told IE that Vizguerra, who was issued “final deportation orders” in 2011, is a priority because of her misdemeanors.
Yahoo reports that if Vizguerra is deported, care for her American-born children goes to her husband and her oldest daughter, who is 26.
Recommended For YouView More in Current
- > Watch Chance the Rapper’s Worshipful Grammy Performance
- > I’m Single. Stop Pitying Me on Valentine’s Day
- > Watch Ashton Kutcher Emotionally Testify Against Sex Trafficking in Front of Congress
- > One of the NFL's Most Promising Young Coaches Is Leaving Football to Pursue the Ministry
- > Sufjan Stevens Pens Letter to America About Christ, Refugees, Love and Judgement
- > Watch Navy SEAL’s Widow Carryn Owens Receive a Standing Ovation During Trump’s Speech
- > The New 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2' Trailer Is Here, and It's Awesome
- > Ukraine's 'StopFake' TV Show Only Features Fake News to Help Fight Fake News
- > Legendary Gameshow Host Marc Summers Discusses Mental Illness in Documentary About His Life
- > Watch Tim Tebow Tell Mets Reporters Why He Doesn’t Want to Be Known as an Athlete