Police Shoot African-American Man During Routine Traffic Stop; His Girlfriend Live-Streams the Aftermath
Just days after Alton Sterling was shot and killed by police in Baton Rouge, another black man has been shot and killed by police. And, in another deeply unsettling video, his girlfriend filmed the aftermath on Facebook Live.
Philando Castile, 32, was in a car with his girlfriend and young daughter when officers pulled them over for a broken tail light. Moments later, he was shot dead by police. In a graphic video that begins moments after the shooting, Diamond Reynolds starts filming a Facebook Live stream, explaining that they had just been pulled over. She says that her boyfriend informed the officer that he was licensed to carry a concealed weapon. She then says that the officer shot him after he reached for his drivers license as instructed.
At that point, an officer approaches the vehicle pointing his gun at Reynolds while screaming at her. The video is incredibly difficult to watch, as Reynolds can be heard repeatedly screaming, “Please Jesus, don’t let him be gone!” She can then be heard praying fervently that God would save him.
Later, someone, possibly the officer, can then be heard shouting obscenities in the background.
Overnight, protests erupted not far from the shooting in Falcon Heights, Minnesota, as crowds demanded answers for Castile’s death. Castile worked at a nearby school, where he was a kitchen supervisor.
Recommended For YouView More in Current
- > Watch Navy SEAL’s Widow Carryn Owens Receive a Standing Ovation During Trump’s Speech
- > The New 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2' Trailer Is Here, and It's Awesome
- > Ukraine's 'StopFake' TV Show Only Features Fake News to Help Fight Fake News
- > Legendary Gameshow Host Marc Summers Discusses Mental Illness in Documentary About His Life
- > Watch Tim Tebow Tell Mets Reporters Why He Doesn’t Want to Be Known as an Athlete