Roma Downey Explains Why the Devil Was Cut Out of ‘Son of God’ Movie
During their hit Biblical miniseries epic The Bible, husband-and-wife producers Roma Downey and Mark Burnett were surprised that an unlikely character was receiving so much attention. Viewers noticed that in some scenes the devil closely resembled President Obama. Burnett and Downey responded that the depiction was completely unintentional, saying, they have “nothing but respect and love our president, who is a fellow Christian.” In a recent column for USA Today, Downey said that in light of the controversy, they’ve decided to “cast out” Satan from the upcoming Son of God film (which is based on the miniseries).
[F]or our movie, Son of God, I wanted all of the focus to be on Jesus. I want his name to be on the lips of everyone who sees this movie, so we cast Satan out. It gives me great pleasure to tell you that the devil is on the cutting room floor. This is now a movie about Jesus, the Son of God, and the devil gets no more screen time, no more distractions.
Son of God opens in theaters on Feb. 28 ...
Recommended For YouView More in Culture
- > Watch Chance the Rapper’s Worshipful Grammy Performance
- > I’m Single. Stop Pitying Me on Valentine’s Day
- > Watch Ashton Kutcher Emotionally Testify Against Sex Trafficking in Front of Congress
- > Sufjan Stevens Pens Letter to America About Christ, Refugees, Love and Judgement
- > Watch This British Lawmaker Speak Out on Selective Abortions Based on Disabilities
- > Watch Navy SEAL’s Widow Carryn Owens Receive a Standing Ovation During Trump’s Speech
- > The New 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2' Trailer Is Here, and It's Awesome
- > Ukraine's 'StopFake' TV Show Only Features Fake News to Help Fight Fake News
- > Legendary Gameshow Host Marc Summers Discusses Mental Illness in Documentary About His Life
- > Watch Tim Tebow Tell Mets Reporters Why He Doesn’t Want to Be Known as an Athlete