The Senate Is Going to Get to the Bottom of 'Zero Dark Thirty'
If you haven't seen Zero Dark Thirty—Kathryn Bigelow's breathtaking dramatization of the hunt for Osama bin Laden—that's understandable. It's a busy time of year. Apparently, the Senate Intelligence Committee has seen Zero Dark Thirty, though, and they'd like to know just how Bigelow and screenwriter Mark Boal got all the information they did. They're saying the CIA may have given out classified information, and the senators want to find out "whether CIA personnel are responsible for the portrayal of harsh interrogation practices, and in particular the suggestion that they were effective." This comes on the heels of Sen. John McCain going positively ballistic over the film's implication that torture was involved in figuring out where exactly bin Laden was hiding out. So, depending on who you ask, the Senate probe is either to criticize Zero Dark Thirty for its inaccurate portrayal of torture or its much too accurate portrayal of torture. The CIA's acting chief, Michael Morrell, issued an exceedingly rare letter addressing the issue last month, saying, "What I want you to know is that Zero Dark Thirty is a dramatization, not a realistic portrayal of the facts. CIA interacted with the filmmakers through our Office of Public Affairs but, as is true with any entertainment project with which we interact, we do not control the final product" ...
Recommended For YouView More in Culture
- > Watch Chance the Rapper’s Worshipful Grammy Performance
- > I’m Single. Stop Pitying Me on Valentine’s Day
- > Mark Zuckerberg Met with Pastors to Understand How Churches ‘Find Deeper Meaning in a Changing World’
- > Watch Ashton Kutcher Emotionally Testify Against Sex Trafficking in Front of Congress
- > Chance After Winning Best New Artist: ‘Glory Be to God. I Claim This Victory in the Name of the Lord’
- > Watch Navy SEAL’s Widow Carryn Owens Receive a Standing Ovation During Trump’s Speech
- > The New 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2' Trailer Is Here, and It's Awesome
- > Ukraine's 'StopFake' TV Show Only Features Fake News to Help Fight Fake News
- > Legendary Gameshow Host Marc Summers Discusses Mental Illness in Documentary About His Life
- > Watch Tim Tebow Tell Mets Reporters Why He Doesn’t Want to Be Known as an Athlete