Sorry Wiz Khalifa, Andy Mineo Made a ‘Stranger Things’ Remix Song First
There was hip-hop drama on Twitter this afternoon. It all started when Wiz Khalifa released a track that sampled the theme song to the Netflix series Stranger Things, called, you guessed it, "Stranger Things." (Warning, it contains some strong language.
Not long after, the magazine Esquire wrote about the track, adding,
TV theme songs are always mined for hip-hop samples … So, with Stranger Things—the Netflix series that became the biggest hit of the summer—it was just a question of who would get to it first. That person is Wiz Khalifa.
The only problem, as hip-hop artist Andy Mineo noted on Twitter, Wiz wasn’t first. He’d recently released a Stranger Things-inspired track called, you guessed it, “Upside Down.”
After some serious blow back from Mineo’s fans, Esquire corrected their piece adding, “Andy Mineo had technically already released a track that sampled the Stranger Things theme, though I had never heard it until today. It turns out, his is actually far better than Wiz's song.”
Drama, you guys.
Recommended For YouView More in Culture
- > Watch Chance the Rapper’s Worshipful Grammy Performance
- > I’m Single. Stop Pitying Me on Valentine’s Day
- > Mark Zuckerberg Met with Pastors to Understand How Churches ‘Find Deeper Meaning in a Changing World’
- > Watch Ashton Kutcher Emotionally Testify Against Sex Trafficking in Front of Congress
- > Chance After Winning Best New Artist: ‘Glory Be to God. I Claim This Victory in the Name of the Lord’
- > Watch Navy SEAL’s Widow Carryn Owens Receive a Standing Ovation During Trump’s Speech
- > The New 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2' Trailer Is Here, and It's Awesome
- > Ukraine's 'StopFake' TV Show Only Features Fake News to Help Fight Fake News
- > Legendary Gameshow Host Marc Summers Discusses Mental Illness in Documentary About His Life
- > Watch Tim Tebow Tell Mets Reporters Why He Doesn’t Want to Be Known as an Athlete