Which American Stereotypes Are True?
Q&A forum Quora asked foreigners what rumors they'd heard about America that they didn't believe were true until they actually came and found out for themselves. The answers make for some fascinating, very funny (and occasionally sad) reading about how America is perceived overseas and what quirks we take for granted. Some choice examples:
Under-dressing in cold weather. Shoes (flip-flops?) + tshirt + cardigan + scarf = winter city outfit often seen in subway and public places when it is REALLY cold outside.
Fruit and vegetable prices, compared to fast food prices. A box of strawberries: $7 Big Mac : $1. HOW DOES THAT EVEN WORK?
There actually is an accepted piece of clothing called a 'wife-beater'.
Recommended For YouView More in Life
- > Watch Chance the Rapper’s Worshipful Grammy Performance
- > I’m Single. Stop Pitying Me on Valentine’s Day
- > Watch Ashton Kutcher Emotionally Testify Against Sex Trafficking in Front of Congress
- > Sufjan Stevens Pens Letter to America About Christ, Refugees, Love and Judgement
- > Watch This British Lawmaker Speak Out on Selective Abortions Based on Disabilities
- > Watch Navy SEAL’s Widow Carryn Owens Receive a Standing Ovation During Trump’s Speech
- > The New 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2' Trailer Is Here, and It's Awesome
- > Ukraine's 'StopFake' TV Show Only Features Fake News to Help Fight Fake News
- > Legendary Gameshow Host Marc Summers Discusses Mental Illness in Documentary About His Life
- > Watch Tim Tebow Tell Mets Reporters Why He Doesn’t Want to Be Known as an Athlete